Feb 12, 2010

Go World!

I was mad at NBC for the same reason a lot of people were mad at NBC: I love Conan. But I'm putting my anger on hold (partly because Conan so eloquently told me to) because it's time for the WINTER OLYMPICS!

I love the Olympics. I mean I LOVE the Olympics. Every two years, I find myself obsessively following the stats and achievements of athletes competing in sports I would otherwise never watch.

During the last summer Olympics in China, I was up at all hours of the night (damn that 12 hour difference) to make sure that I was able to watch Michael Phelps win LIVE, so I could get a good look at those Chinese gymnasts (16 years old my ass) and to see Usain Bolt break his own records--one after another-- in those crazy gold Pumas.

So here's what I'll be tuned into in Vancouver over the next 16 days.

1.) The opening ceremony. I don't think it can top Beijing's craziness from two years ago (has it been two years already?). But it's always awesome and it always gives me goosebumps.

2.) Shaun White. Holy cow. I'm not a snoboarder, but this guy is insane! And you have to appreciate that hair.

3.) Bobsled! C'mon, don't pretend that you didn't love Cool Runnings. You know you did. I think it's so cool to watch them run that sled and then jump in it and snap those handles down. It's a race with a lot of components involved. So cool.

4.) Medal ceremonies. Do you know all the words to Switzerland's national anthem? Neither do I. But I still love watching people get their medals and cry. Oh, I love to see them cry. I hope the medals aren't ugly this year (Sorry Torino-- they looked like bagel chips).

5.) Lindsey Vonn. She's a badass. I think people are underestimating what a badass she actually is. The girl has a bruise on her shin. Calm down people-- she's an Olympian! I'm not worried. Also, she has the Picabo Street seal of approval, so I'm on board.

6.) Bob Costas. Don't get me wrong-- I still love me some Matt Lauer, but nobody covers the Olympics like Bob Costas. I loved his interview with Bela Karolyi in Beijing.



Bela final
by bsap11
He really enjoys the athletes and coaches and it shows. Love him.

7.) Apolo Ohno. He may be my favorite Olympic athlete of all time (Bela Karolyi isn't an athlete). He's going to be the guy to watch this year, as he only needs TWO medals to become the most decorated winter Olympic athlete of ALL TIME. Nuts, right?! I get really nervous while watching speed skating, though. It always looks like they're about to fall over.

8.) Women's hockey. It kind of makes me wish I hadn't quit playing high school hockey. I could have been an Olympic athlete... maybe. So what, I never scored a goal? I was really good at drinking Gatorade. Like... Oympic good.

9.) French. It's the official language of the Olympics and I like to brush up by listening to the announcers.

10.) Figure Skating. Johnny Weir is a pretty big deal this year, but I think he's kind of annoying (though I'm willing to let him win me over throughout the course of the games). Personally, I like the pairs better. Blades of Glory, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment